ozzfestfan99 Show full post »
AlpineValleyGirl
Gnomez wrote:

Cassette.....WTF
Then they' get jammed and all you could do was throw the tape out your car window and have a stream
Of ribbon blowing behind you in the wind

when I took my first computer course in 1983, we learned on Commodore 64's and our media storage was cassettes.  I stupidly put my computer cassette in my car stereo to see what it sounded like and it was kinda neat, all staticky and squeeky and boinging, until I put my Ted Nugent Free For All cassette in next and the magnetic media transferred from the player head onto my Teddy tape.  it was never the same after that.

once upon a time, videos came out on Video Disc - the same size as record albums but basically the same thing as a DVD.  I knew people who bought into every phase of video evolution.  anyone ever fall for the DAT craze?
Helping My Boss Find His Own Ass with Both Hands since 1986!
Quote 0 0
Tiger479
AlpineValleyGirl wrote:

Gnomez wrote:

Cassette.....WTF
Then they' get jammed and all you could do was throw the tape out your car window and have a stream
Of ribbon blowing behind you in the wind

when I took my first computer course in 1983, we learned on Commodore 64's and our media storage was cassettes.  I stupidly put my computer cassette in my car stereo to see what it sounded like and it was kinda neat, all staticky and squeeky and boinging, until I put my Ted Nugent Free For All cassette in next and the magnetic media transferred from the player head onto my Teddy tape.  it was never the same after that.

once upon a time, videos came out on Video Disc - the same size as record albums but basically the same thing as a DVD.  I knew people who bought into every phase of video evolution.  anyone ever fall for the DAT craze?

Laser Disc.. You can still find those in used bookstores. As for a player who the hell knows. 
Quote 0 0
Gnomez
I remember those
They were going to be "the next best thing"
They didnt look like a record did they?
Weren't they a bit like a coloured disc or a picture disc in a sleeve?
Quote 0 0
minime
I was so into Laser Disc  when they first came out....
the sound ,the picture was so far ahead of tapes it was unreal
My first LD player was a Pioneer DVL 700 with THX  Surround Sound
cost 1000 bucks out of the box.Funny part about Laer Disc players were
if your player was not equipt with an Auto-Reverse you had to filp the Disc over to play side 2.
each side of the LD was about 70 to 90 mins long..One of the Cool things about LD's
they were one of the First formats to release movies in Exetend or un cut Versions.
example I sitll have to this day A Version of John Carpenters ''Escape from New York''
with the Orginal opening showing Snake Pliskin Robbing the Gold reserve at Fort Knox
Also have a a 3 plus Hrs version of T-2 Judgement  with about 20 mins of footage about
half threw moveing showing Sara and John Conner shutting down the Termantor and re-programming him.
One of the Major Flaws with LD players was the Disc Loading Mechanism.its the same system used for DVD's
the main problem was that LD's were so heavy,it cause the Loader to Fail.As time went one me and my wife
keep 2 LD players in our house just for that reason.Several things Finally killed the Laser Disc....
was the size and wieght
2}players were poorly built
3}storage..
4}lenth of play per disc was on average of 70 mins.for a 2 to 2 and half hr movie
you needed multiple disc
and final nail in the coffen was the release of the DVD

Quote 0 0
Gnomez
Thanks for the sales pitch but no I don't want to buy your old LD player
Quote 0 0
minime
Sell it to ya REAL cheap...

Hell I even thorw in some LD's and a few 8 tracks tapes....

Quote 0 0
kissfan77
I' take that deal 8-tracks are makin a comeback
Quote 0 0
Tiger479
I remember as a kid our home stereo had a record player, 8 track, and some new thing called a cassette player. Everything you ever needed was there.   
Quote 0 0
MIDDLE_FINGER
Tiger479 wrote:

I remember as a kid our home stereo had a record player, 8 track, and some new thing called a cassette player. Everything you ever needed was there.   

Ahh yes!
And we had the reel to reel,recording shit all the time.

Fun days as a kid growing up around music/musicians and how it all worked.

Quote 0 0