laurjohn2
Ozzfest August 24th Mansfield Review

I had to meet my brother-in-law before the show to give him his ticket, which got me there a little late.  It was cold and rainy.  I was wearing my Patriots hooded sweatshirt to try and keep dry.  Forecast was for off and on light rain, but it rained the whole time.  I ended up spending the day by myself (brother-in-law ditched me) and did not see anyone from the boards there.  My first impression when i saw the second stage area (at 1:05PM when i got there), was what a difference from Mayhem.  Very empty.  not many tents set up, and only a couple hundred people.  I am not including set lists because they've allready been included in all other reviews.

Goatwhore: Enjoyed their set.  They had a lot of energy and their songs were really good.  Never really listened to them before, but they got my attention. 7/10

Saviors:  Singer was definately drunk.  Got to extend their set by one song, not sure why.  They were heading off the stage and told they had one more.  Thought they were OK.  Got my head bobbing up and down, but thats about it. 4/10

Skeletonwitch:  Thought the singer was funny.  Kept on randomly saying words, like the occasional "love pussy".  Musically, thought they were much better than Saviors, but not as good as Goatwhore.  6/10

Kingdom Of Sorrow:  Extremely impressed with them.  Kept on hearing how bad they would be without Kirk, but i thought they were the best on the 2nd stage.  At one point got sucked into the pit.  I usually stick to the borders.  Made up for missing Hatebreed at Mayhem: 9/10

Drowning Pool / BLS: cancelled due to rain.  Made us wait awhile before telling us.  I figured it out before most people, went to the main stage and sat for the hour, waiting for nonpoint.

Nonpoint: Meh, didnt really care for their set.  They get bonus points though for having Drowning Pool come up and play Bodies with them: 6/10

Devildriver: i was still in a funk from being wet, cold and pissed about BLS, so really didnt enjoy their set.  other people around me did, and they weren't as bad as Saviors or nonpoint, so i'll give them a 6/10

Halford: Man can still sing.  Enjoyed his set, but will admit it got a bit boring.  First half had a lot more energy than the second half.  Crowd didn't really dig it.  Didn't really understand why, thought the band sounded great and his voice was top notch.  Played Never Satified by JP and Nailed to the Gun by Fight.  Halford's birthday is today, so they had a cake for him afterwards. 9/10

Motley Crue:  tons better than the last couple times i saw them.  Vince's voice was annoying me.  Kept on singing every other word, like he was bored.  Band sounded awesome.  Tommy improvised when they had trouble with the piano before home sweet home by having women flash (no titty cam).  Tommy, great as always on drums.  Nicki fell down during MF of the year, got back up like nothing happened. 
Mick looked and sounded a lot better than the last time i saw him.  Loved the set, even though 3 songs from Dr Feelgood is too much, and 2 from saints is also too much.  Would have liked more from the first 2 CD's: 9/10

Ozzy - totally shocked.  Last time i saw him was in 2006 and he was horrible.  He looks like a new man.  Voice was spot on.  Had tons on energy.  intro video was entertaining.  Crowd was really into and rightfully so.  Gus did a great job on guitar.  10/10
Quote 0 0
Jayman
It was a great show though.  The weather was miserable.  It felt like a fuckin november day.  It felt like 55 degrees out with wind and rain.  I don't think it ever stopped raining for 2 days straight.  While I did enjoy myself for most of the show,  like you I was in a funk for devildriver and I had trouble enjoying their set.  I do like them.  I wasn't too bummed out about BLS and drowning pool since I was at saturday's show in hartford so I already got to see them on the tour.  Nice to see Goatwhore who wasn't on saturday's show.  

Savours was ok I guess.  I too noticed he was sloshed whenever he talked.  Skeletonwitch was awesome as always and so was Kingdom of sorrow.  Nonpoint wasn't bad.  If they didn't close the second stage I probably wouldn't have caught nonpoint.  Halford was amazing as always.  There was a couple of songs that I could understand if you're not a diehard that you may get bored with.  But I loved the set.
Motley crue, I'm not a fan of but I was getting into some of their songs.  The place went apeshit for them.
Ozzy was just as amazing as he was on saturday.  Spot on.  I too was a bit skeptical as to how he would sound, because I was not overly impressed with him at ozzfest '07.  But he sounded better than I've heard him sound live.  

During Halford's set, me and a bunch of others in the same row were on our feet, because, you know, it's a metal show and Halford is awesome.  uring the whole set there was a woman, and a few guys screaming in between songs  "SIT DOWN!!!!  SIT DOWNNNNN!!!!!"   We all just paid no attention.  I think it was the girl that threw an empty cigarette pack at me, but I didn't look back because I was concentrating on the awesomeness of Halford.  So to anybody that's ever yelled at somebody to sit down at a metal or rock concert, FUCK OFF AND DIE,  YOU MAKE ME SICK you lazy, worthless piece of shit.  Stick to movie theaters and broadway plays and stay out of the metal shows because you don't belong there.   Not that anybody that comes on this board would do that, but I had to get that rant out of my system  
Quote 0 0
laurjohn2
i too stood up for Halford.  it is a metal show and halford should get respect.  People in front of me were making fun of me a little bit.  Of course i was alone and there was about 10 of them, so i ignored
Quote 0 0
Jayman
laurjohn2 wrote:

i too stood up for Halford.  it is a metal show and halford should get respect.  People in front of me were making fun of me a little bit.  Of course i was alone and there was about 10 of them, so i ignored

I was also alone.  Why would they make fun of you for enjoying a metal band?  I thought for sure all the ozzfest crowd would be compelled to get up on their feet for Halford but most people didn't.  Same with Hartford.  I don't know that it has to do with respect,  I just think there's a lot of lazy people or they were just waiting for the Crue to get on.  So I guess I could understand some people sitting, but I'll never understand how anybody that's ever been to a concert in their life would expect others to sit down too just because they're too lazy to get off their asses.  It really pisses me off when I see people like that at metal concerts.  YOu wanna sit?  fine, but don't fuckin' tell me to sit because I"m not doin it. 
Quote 0 0
Airforce
Good reviews and yeah, good time despite the rain and wind, etc.. I'm from Va (much warmer there) and was cold as fuck by the time main stage came around. Got a $10 upgrade to Sec. 2 center stage, that was awesome. Kataklysm was missing from the 2nd stage. I was also disappointed over the BLS/Drowning Pool (more over BLS though) cancellation, it was not raining any harder or any more windy at that point. Nonpoint bringing out Drowning Pool was pretty cool, and I thought the crowd was into Halford, at least I think so more than laurjohn2 does, but thats neither here nor there. Crue was good, but I also agree with the reviews and holy shit was Ozzy Awesome! I have been seeing him live since the Blizzard of Ozz tour and all things considered, he was great!!! From performance to vocals!!! Gus G is pretty great also, did not care for the way he played some things (Wah petal on Faries?, really?, amongst a few other things) but overall was excellent and Ozzy had a great stage presence with him. Nice facility too, firts time I was ever up here. Great day despite the weather!
Quote 0 0